Tuesday, August 9, 2011

It Takes One Teacher In A Child's Life To Make A Difference!

What an amazing day today.  I never expected that today would be such a life changing day for Carter, but it did.  This is all due to ONE AMAZING TEACHER- COLONEL SAYLES at Marcus High School in Flower Mound, Texas.  As many of you know, Carter was in his High School's JROTC program and was looking forward to becoming a Navy Seal.  All this changed when he was diagnosed with CMT.  We went up to the school today to get his form for his permit to drive.  When we arrived we bumped into his JROTC friends, who were "training" the new recruits.  They all came running over and said "I am so sorry man to hear what happened."  Carter told them all "Its o.k. I'll still come visit you all."  After our goodbyes we went into the office to pick up the form and I could tell as he was signing it he was upset.  He said "I didn't realize how hard this was going to be."  He was talking about going back to school and being around all his friends that are doing everything he used to do but can no longer do.  I told him "I know honey, I know it's hard but we will get through this."  As we left we decided to stop in the class and inform Colonel that Carter is no longer going to be in JROTC. 

When Carter told Colonel "I am here to tell you I am leaving ROTC."  Colonel said "What? No you aren't. Why would you leave?  This is what you have always wanted. You are not leaving!"  We then explained to him that Carter was diagnosed right after he came back from ROTC Leadership camp with CMT. I explained what the disease was and how Carter can no longer stand for long periods of time due to severe pain, run due to pain and fatigue and that he just simply cannot handle some of the rigors of ROTC.  Well lets just say that Colonel was not letting go of Carter that easily.  He said "I am not letting you go, I want and need you to stay.  You are my leader, I need you!"  "You see all those Freshman out there?"  "I need you to lead them."  "ROTC is not just about joining the Military, it is about leadership, teamwork, and family."  "I will make accommodations for you so you don't have to march or do drills." He went on to say that Carter can take on more of a leadership role, since he went to leadership camp and administrative work as well.  He will teach him how to put stuff into the computer, he can time the PT guys and so much more.  He kept telling him I need you and I am not letting you quit!  I started to cry and everyone had tears welling up in their eyes.  Going above and beyond Colonel also said that he can help us with fundraising!  Even better he told  Carter he could become a government contractor to do Military analysts or a strategist for the SEALS and he would help him with this. .

 In my opinion Marcus High School should be honored to have such a great teacher leading their kids and the government should be proud and honored to have him as well.   TODAY COLONEL SAYLES MADE OUR DAY!  What started out as a sad day ended on such a high note!  All due to one teacher, taking the time to care about one student and not giving up on him!  Instead, inspiring him, teaching him, believing in him and telling him you are special. 

THANK YOU COLONEL SAYLES for making this year a better year even before it starts.

Oh and at the end he said "So tomorrow I expect you here at 7 am in your BDU's."  "Yes Sir" said Carter. 

3 comments:

  1. Colonel Sayles sounds like an amazing man and teacher. Thanks for sharing this special news. Keep reaching for your dreams Carter. Sometimes we may have to alter them a bit but the result may end up better than what we initially had hoped for. ~ Sherry (Gma Perzell friend)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry,
    I totally agree! I am writing a letter to the principal of Marcus High School and also the school district. He needs to be recognized. Carter says thanks for the encouraging words and he agrees with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi my son is 18 years old he was a hurler with a club since he was 8 years old at 16 years old his right hand just started to become thinner doc did an emg test and said he had a condition after more tests we were told he have cmt 14 months ago still trying to get my head around it

    ReplyDelete